Wednesday 5 October 2011

Thick Beef and Beans Chili

I don't like soup. It's a sad but true fact. They are just too...swishy. They make you feel hungry again in twenty minutes. I don't appreciate this. The closest I get to soup is chowder (my mother's corn chowder is DELISH, I need her recipe) and chili. The stew-ish end of soups---although, I really don't like stews, either.

I've made chili I liked before, but, silly me, I never wrote down what I did (that is one very nice side affect of this blog, I have to write down what I do otherwise I don't have anything to show you). So today I was feeling particularly ill (I've had a head cold for days) so I decided to do some therapeutic cooking and come up with a chili recipe.

So I did. And here it is.

A warning, I like spicy food and I also make a TON of chili when I make it because it just keeps tasting better and better the longer you keep it.


Thick Beef and Beans Chili


2 lbs ground beef
2 medium onions, chopped small
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, chopped small
1 green pepper, chopped small
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp Montreal Steak Spice
1/2 tsp cumin
4 tsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
1 114 ml can of diced green chilis
1 19 fl. oz can of navy beans
1 19 fl. oz can of kidney beans
1 28 fl. oz can of diced tomatoes
1 28 fl. oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 c. broth (doesn't really matter what kind, though beef would be best)
1/8 c. brown sugar

In a HUGE pot, fry onions and garlic until brown. Add beef, salt and spices and cook 'til brown. Then add green, red and chili peppers. Stir and cook for another minute then add beans, tomatoes, broth and sugar.
It really needs a while to fully 'woogy', so I made mine in the morning and we'll eat it for dinner tonight. You could even make it the day before. It is REALLY good with fresh cornbread.

I hope you enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! Next time I make chili for the gang inam going to make yours - owen will love it because he likes spice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it didn't actually turn out as spicy as I was expecting. I'm adding a yummy hot sauce next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep us posted on the hot sauce...although with my short gang, I can't make it TOO spicy or they cry. Really. I think I'll try this next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you will have to tell me how it goes! as far as hot sauce, I don't think it really matters... I have a chipotle hot sauce that I was going to use just 'cause I have it. haha

    ReplyDelete