Friday 30 September 2011

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes



I don't know why, but scalloped potatoes with cheese has always been one of my favourite dishes ever since I was little; if I was feeling sick or sad I wanted either scalloped potatoes with cheese or my Grandma's chicken and noodles.

For the past while I've been trying to make a scalloped potatoes recipe that a) actually cooks (don't use raw onions, it makes the potatoes crunchy) and b) isn't super duper runny. I have finally found one. It's a titch more work than your basic scalloped potatoes recipe, but it is SO worth it!

Dorothea's Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

1 c. chopped onion (approx. 1 medium onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 c. milk
1/2 c. cream
about 2 1/2 lbs thinly sliced potatoes (my favourite potatoes are yukon gold)
approx. 1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

In a sauce pan fry onion and garlic in butter until the onion is tender (it won't really brown, too much butter, but just get 'em cooked). Stir in flour, salt and pepper and fry for a moment before adding the milk and cream. Cook and stir over medium until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a buttered casserole dish, layer the sliced potatoes about three layers thick. Top with a small amount (most of the sauce is going on the final top layer) of sauce and sprinkle with a third of the cheese. Layer potatoes another three-ish thick and repeat last step. On the final layer, spread the remaining bulk of the sauce over the potatoes and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 400F, then turn down the oven to 350F and bake for another 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft (poke 'em with a fork to check). You should let it stand, uncovered, for about 5 minutes before you try to serve it, otherwise it will slop all over and burn you. True story.

There you go! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I don't wish to brag or indulge in any unseemly name-dropping, but - that mouth-watering photograph above was taken at MY dinner table. Yes, the famous Dorothea-of-the-Cooking-Blog came for dinner and brought these wonderful potatoes. They are GOOD. Eat your heart out, everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! I love you, sister of mine. you'll get to eat 'em again, 'cause I'm taking them to the Thanksgiving dinner (if you're going, that is...). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta ask - can I use your scalloped potatoes photo on my blog where I link to this recipe? You can email be back.

    ReplyDelete