Thursday 29 September 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes of Happiness


I am not really a dessert person, I much prefer salty things, but when I do make a dessert I like, it is usually a personal sized one. Cupcakes, cinnamon buns, etc. I don't know why, but I am more excited about a dessert if it's in its own little wrapper or individual size. I also enjoy feeding other people, heck, people I don't even know---I sent some of these cupcakes with Aaron to share with the guys he works with (they loved them and when one of them dropped Aaron off that day, he pulled up in front of me and said "I loved your muffins!" It took me a moment to figure out what he was talking about...)---and it is a great deal easier to send food that is small and you don't have to slice into. So, long story short, unless I am making something specific for someone, I usually turn my cakes into cupcakes.


Chocolate Cupcakes of Happiness
a recipe out of my favourite cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook (of awesome, in my opinion) 

3/4 c. butter (softened)
3 eggs
2 c. flour
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder 
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. milk

Line two trays of muffin tins with cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt, set aside. In a large (WAY large, chocolate cakes splatters like no other) mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Gradually add in sugar, 1/2 c. at a time. Beat on medium speed until well combined (creamed). Add eggs and vanilla and beat well. Alternately add in flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more, then fill muffin tins. 
Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Be sure to get the cupcakes out onto a wire rack right away.

Now, while the cupcakes are cooling, make any icing you choose. I used Penuche icing, which was DELICIOUS, so I will give you the recipe here.

Penuche Icing of Yumminess 

1/2 c. butter
1 c. packed brown sugar 
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
3 1/2 c. powdered sugar

In a saucepan, melt butter and stir in brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly (really let it get bubbly, the browner the better). Remove from heat and vigorously whisk in the milk and vanilla until smooth. Add powdered sugar (still whisking like a mad man, otherwise it goes lumpy and grainy) until frosting reaches a, vaguely sloppy, spreading consistency. Ice immediately! Even if your cupcakes are still warm, that's fine. This icing hardens no matter what, it won't melt like a butter cream frosting would.

So there you go! A wonderful treat to bring to any gathering, send with anyone, or just eat in your own home. 

1 comment: