Friday 23 December 2011

Spicy Bacon Mac and Cheese

I love things that are full of whimsy and the unexpected. I wouldn't say that I'm particularly 'adventurous' (Everest holds no appeal and I don't even like sushi), but I like things that make you laugh and smile because you weren't expecting it. Like this song:


It is SO bizarre that it makes me laugh and I appreciate that. I don't know if that really translates into my cooking all that often, but I think in this instance it does.


Spicy Bacon Mac and Cheese

1/4 c. butter
1/8 c. bacon bits
1/8 c. flour
1 c. milk
1 c. cream
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
dash of black pepper
1 tsp regular yellow mustard
2 1/2 c. cheddar cheese
Fried bread crumbs (saute bread crumbs in butter until crispy) 
Cooked macaroni noodles (you'll have to eyeball how much, I didn't measure...)

Melt butter in medium sauce pan then add bacon and flour. Fry for a minute before adding milk, cream, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Stir on medium heat until sauce thickens then drop heat to low and add mustard and 2 1/4 c. cheddar cheese. Stir until completely mixed and then mix in macaroni noodles. Divvy up between as many ramekins as you want and sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake at 375F for 15 minutes and then enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. i can not wait until i can start making some of your yummy meals for myself! so proud that i have a sister who is a genius in the kitchen:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute... both you and the video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you! both of you! when you can start having them again, Tania, I will MAKE them for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This ain't your brother's craft dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  5. testing, testing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um...still testing... Sorry about this. Explanation coming soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I'm trying to get my OpenID working for comments on other blogs...and you get to be the test site! Should do wonders for the stats for this post, right? Seems to be working now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, it isn't. Okay, try something else.

    So sorry about this, Dorothea! I had no idea it would take so long...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've finally got the name right, and the link works, but why isn't my picture showing? Crankiness...

    ReplyDelete
  10. NO!!!! Now the name is wrong again!!!

    (I hope you're laughing at me...er, WITH me...and not too irritated.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, so after all that I'm back to using the Google profile which won't link to my blog.

    Again, I'm so sorry about all this mess...I hope it doesn't cause either of us problems. I'd delete it all except only half of them will let me. And they make more sense if you realize that each one is a comment on the way the previous comment posted...

    I feel stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just read all the comments and LAUGHED MYSELF SILLY. you are ADORABLE.

    ReplyDelete